October 5, 2013: Friendship Quilt is finished!

Greetings!

My guild, the Cocheco Quilt Guild, has its annual show next weekend and I just completed the last of my entries so I am all set with no last minute stitching to do!  I put the label on the DLM (Durham-Lee-Madbury) Friendship Quilt.  I’ve been a member of this group since 2001 and there are about 20 of us.  We meet monthly at different members’ homes, work on our projects and share stories and support one another.  I’m blessed to be friends with this great group of women.  In 2011 we exchanged blocks with our signatures and challenged each other to make a quilt in any style or size, using the blocks.  The guild show is having an exhibit of our friendship quilts. If you have been reading my blog over the past year, you’ve seen pictures of progress on this quilt but now it is finally finished.  Linda Bevins did a lovely job machine quilting it.  Here are some pictures:

Image

 

Image

 

Linda quilted a beautiful intertwined cable and feather border.  This picture has shadows that make the border look wavy, which it is not.  When it hangs at the show next weekend I’ll try to get some better pictures and I look forward to taking pictures of the other friendship quits too.

Image

Image

 

Image

 

I had fun adding the striped piping along the border.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get it as even as I would like but this is only my second attempt at adding piping.  I do enjoy challenging myself to do new things and try new techniques.

Now that this quilt is complete, I have returned to appliqueing leaves on the borders for the Spring Sonata quilt.  The applique is complete for 3 of the 4 borders with the exception of 4 berries on one of them and I have just started the 4th border.  Of course, I plan to go back and embellish all the leaves with embroidery so I still have a ways to go before they are ready to be attached to the center of the quilt.  Here’s a view of the 3 borders spread out on my cutting table:

Image

 

I am also making very gradual progress on the Spirit of Japan #3: The Wheel project.  I have recently been showing how this is coming along.  Each wheel is constructed in 4 parts, i.e. 4 quarters, and the center has to be attached to each part.  Since the wheel is paper pieced and I don’t want to take the paper off until I have the background sewn on, I am attaching the centers in what might be an unorthodox manner, but it works for me.  I’m not one to necessarily follow directions if I think a different way will work.  Here’s my process.  I cut each center circle into 4 parts and ironed on the templates for the center sections:

Image

 

The templates are made out of Sulky Totally Stable iron-on tear away stabilizer.

Image

 

I like this better than freezer paper for needleturn applique with the “freezer paper” on top because this product is much softer and I like the feel of it.  I’m sure freezer paper would work just as well but I like this product.  I especially like it for projects in which the paper is going to be on for a long time and I will be carrying it around – it folds more easily and, again, just feels better.

Image

 

This just shows the paper on the back (the top isn’t trimmed yet – I’ll wait til I’m ready to attach to the background to do that).

I sew by machine a long basting stitch on the seam line so I can see where to attach the center:

Image

 

Here’s the right side:

Image

 

Image

 

Then I iron over the edge of the center piece and lay it against the basted line on the outer section:

ImageImage

 

Image

 

Then I baste this down:

ImageTh

Then I hand applique the edge down and remove the paper:

Image

 

Eventually there will be a sashing strip separating the sections:

Image

 

So…I have to make 4 sections for each of 16 wheels or a total of 64 of these before I can begin sewing the blocks together.  I will also have to decide what kind of background I want.  That will be a major challenge because the background is going to be significant in how the piece looks in the end and different backgrounds would produce wildly different looks.  I’m sure I won’t get to that part for a few months!

And that’s my quilting update!  I hope to show some quilts from the Cocheco show the next time I post.  Of course, I volunteered to help out at the show.  Meanwhile, I’m very busy at work, we celebrated both grandkids birthdays recently (can’t believe they’re 6 and 9!!),  I’ve enjoyed some nice gatherings recently with good friends, and I’m reading The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (fantastic writing!) for my book group.  Life is good!!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s